I will keep this short and sweet. I host most of my blogs on 1 and 1 hosting and ran into the problem (fatal error out of memory)
To solve this problem I search for hours trying to find a solution but none of them worked. Then I came across this and applied it and it worked great. I don’t know if this will work for other wordpress blogs hosted on other servers, but it worked for my 1 and 1 hosted blogs…
Copy the following code in to notepad:
Save the file as php.ini
Upload via FTP to BOTH your root directory of your blog as well as the wp-admin directory on your blog.
See if this resolves your problem. I was actually surprised that this worked for me. If not there are a more fixes but none of them worked for me.
Here are more solutions I found online:
1. Try looking for the php.ini file. You might find some redundant php.ini files, so make sure you have got the one which is actually being read by PHP. o be sure, create a new php file in your root folder, say “check.php” and have phpInfo(); within the php open and close tags. Execute this file to get the information on where the php.ini is residing. Normally it will be in /usr/local/lib/php.ini
Open the php.ini file in a text editor like TextPad (not in Notepad) and change the values for memory_limit. By default you should see memory_limit = 8M. Try changing it to 12M. If it doesn’t work, increase it to 16M or even 24M and so on.
2. In case you can’t find the php.ini file or do not have access to it, then open up the file which was throwing the error (admin.php in my case) and add a line below just after ini_set(’memory_limit’, ‘12M’);
3. You can even consider adding a line in .htaccess file which will resolve the issue.
php_value memory_limit 32M
4. Or else, Try adding this line to your wp-config.php file:
Increasing memory allocated to PHP
5. Call your hosting provider and bitch to them that you are spending money every month the least they could do is give you shit that works… ( I highly recommend this choice ^_^)
7 thoughts on “1 and 1 hosting wordpress fix for upgrading to 3.0”
Hi, I have tried doing the options you suggest but they haven’t worked. With 2 – apologies but I was unsure what to put and wondered if you can help:
The error I get is 2Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 32243712) (tried to allocate 3098505 bytes) in /homepages/0/d132202164/htdocs/blog/wp-includes/class-http.php on line 1421″ so I’ve tried editing the class-http.php file but there are a few lines with ini-set in them and I was unsure where / how to add it in
on line 1421 it says
$theResponse = curl_exec( $handle );
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Are you hosting with 1 and 1 ?
Hi, thank you, yes we are,
Just a quick heads up for anyone who is looking…
If 1 and 1 hosting is your hosting provider and you have a wordpress blog and you have buddypress and are getting errors when you are trying to upgrade.. First deactivate buddypress then do your upgrade.
Hi Larry, thank you so much for your assistance, this has solved the issue. We did have to delete rather than just de-activate buddypress in the end but everything is intact,
It was my pleasure 🙂